A root canal is a standard dental procedure that removes infection and decay from the root part of your tooth. This prevents further damage to the tooth and allows you to keep your own tooth for a longer period of time. At Marble Dental Care Vaughan, Woodbridge , our team has deep expertise in performing complicated and calcified root canal treatments mostly in one session depending on the severity of the infection. We work hard to save your own tooth and ease your pain.
Who needs a root canal?
In general, we recommend a root canal treatment when there is an infection in your tooth’s interior pulp. The inner layers of the tooth can become infected due to deep decay hitting the nerve.
Symptoms of infection include:
• Inflamed gums
• Pain: one of the important signs of infection or injury to the pulp chamber is the pain. Some patients might experience constant, throbbing and excruciating pain. Others may experience intermittent, sharp pain.
• Excruciating pain to hot and cold
• A color change of your tooth which usually is darker than a white natural-looking tooth
• A small bump on your gums
Infection can cause pain, and also it can cause damage to your nerves and blood vessels, leading to the death of tissue in your tooth and the tissues around it.
Why you should have a root canal
If the pulp chamber inside the tooth is affected, decayed, or infected, a root canal is most likely the best choice for treatment. Our Marble Dental Care team in Vaughan evaluates your situation by examining you, taking X-rays, and determining the extent of your infection.
We use local anesthesia around the tooth to numb the area and keep you comfortable during the procedure. After the anesthetic takes effect which usually would take around 10 minutes to kick in, you’re unlikely to feel any discomfort during the entire procedure, which usually takes about an hour.
Once the infection is removed from the tooth, damage to the tooth stops and it becomes stable. In most cases, root canal treatment preserves the tooth structure and allows you to keep it for years with no complications.
Root canal procedures treat tooth infections, and you may be surprised to see how fast you get relieved from the excruciating pain you were experiencing before. Your tooth may be sensitive for a few days which is normal especially on biting, but that should get better quickly, and you’ll have a strong, natural tooth.
Root canal therapy addresses injured or infected dental pulp so that the tooth does not need to be removed. Similar to a dental filling, a small opening is made in the tooth to access the pulp chambers and root canal system. Dr. Milani will remove any affected pulp tissue since it is in the process of dying and will then disinfect the area. The procedure is completed by filling the root canals to prevent reinfection and placing a dental crown over the tooth to strengthen and protect the weakened tooth.
The Root Canal Procedure
• Dr. Milani at Marble Dental Care prepares the tooth just as he would to treat a cavity to get a filling.
• An opening is made to the pulp chamber (root area and pulp tissue), along with nerves and blood vessels, is removed.
• Canal systems are cleaned with a dental bleach solution which is typically hypochlorite
• Canals are filled with a specific material designed to obturate and fill the root canals
• Dental filling is placed on the tooth to prevent contamination with bacteria in the future
• The tooth is rebuilt with a nice and durable dental crown to prevent fracture in the future.
If you’d like to learn more about how we do root canals treatments at Marble Dental Care Woodbridge Dentistry near Vaughan and if it’s the most appropriate treatment for your problem, make an appointment online or over the phone at our office today.